397: Environmental Risk Assessment
Department of Civil
The University of Texas
Reference Sources on Environmental
- Gilbert, R.O., Statistical Methods for Environmental Monitoring,
Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1987. Environmental sampling and statistical
analysis of sample results.
- Helsel D.R. and R.M. Hirsch, Statistical Methods in Water Resources,
Studies in Environmental Science, Vol. 49, Elsevier Science Publications,
the Netherlands, 1992. Statistical analysis of flows and water quality
variables with some emphasis on censored samples. Particularly strong on
- Hirsch R.M., et al., Statistical Treatment of Hydrologic Data, in Handbook
of Hydrology, ed. By D.R.Maidment, Ch. 19, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
A short summary of #2. This Handbook is on reserve in the Engineering Library.
- Ott, W.R., Environmental Statistics and Data Analysis, Lewis
Publishers, Boca Raton, FL, 1995. Probability modeling for environmental
processes. Good on lognormal distribution and what it represents.
- Stigler, S.M., The History of Statistics: the Measurement of Uncertainty
Before 1900, Harvard University Press, 1986. A very nice survey from
an historical perspective of the development of statistics. Shows how the
basic ideas came about and makes them easier to understand.
Return to the Class