Term Project Outline
CE 394K Surface Water Hydrology
University of Texas at Austin
Hydrologic Response Unit - Concept and Implementation
by Ximing Cai
Objectives: I have been keeping on reading the papers about the concept of
hydrologic response unit(HRU), its principles and its implementation in
hydrologic modeling. This term project may give me an opportuunity to take
all those papers back, review them, and think about what I really got from
them, and what is interesting to do now or in the future.
Information Sources: papers from several kinds of journals and magazines.
Some related data on INTERNET and some published databases will be used for
the case study.
Expected Results: I will take half-time on writing the literature review
and the other half time on my own work. The literature review will focus on
the following topics:
Based on the literature review, I hope to
- The concept of hydrologic response unit (HRU)
lumped approaches, zonal approaches, hydrologic response unit (HRU),
representative element area (REA)
- The dominant controls to specific hydrologic modeling
single variable effect and combined effects of the major variables in
channel network, soils and land uses, topography and rainfall distribution.
- Scaling up from the microscale to macroscale
hydrologic similarity and integration, scaling a point representation up
to an element representation.
- Uncertainty treatment in parameterization of hydrologic modeling
temporal and spatial variability and modeling uncertainty.
- Propose a conceptual framework for HRU,
- Find a way for implementation of HRU in specific hydrologic modeling,
- Show a small demonstration example.
Return to the Hydrology Class Home Page